Recycled Bracelet Holder

While supply hunting in Michael’s, I came across a bracelet holder that I thought would be perfect for organizing my ever growing cuff collection. My previous system was a bowl and a tray in my closet (seen here) which was great. For awhile. As my bracelet collection grew (I do love a good cuff) it became harder to dig around for the right bracelet and some were lost at the bottom of the bowl. Which is crazy because it’s not that big of a bowl.

When I saw the bracelet holder, I immediately picked it up. I noticed that it was so light, it was nothing more than a cardboard tube with velvet covering. It was only $7.99 but I am such a cheapskate. The tube was about the size of a paper towel roll and a lightbulb went off in my head.

Source here.


You see, Ty loves paper towel and toilet paper rolls. When we get to the end of a roll, he gets all excited and hops around until we give it to him. He loves to tear them up and eat (some) of them. Cardboard is fiber for dogs, right? My mom will save a bunch of her rolls to give to Ty, like a treat. Needless to say, I have a ton of cardboard rolls.

To make your own bracelet holder, you will need:


  • 1 paper towel tube
  • 1 toilet paper tube
  • 1 cardboard square
  • About a half of a yard or so of fabric
  • Some paper of some sort. I pulled some fliers from the recycle bin.
  • Double sided tape



I cut off a box flap for my cardboard square. The box also came from the recycle bin. Yay for being green! This piece will act as the base, so make sure it is wide enough to keep your jewelry roll from tipping over.



I checked to see if my paper towel roll would fit inside my jewelry cubby. It was a little long so I cut off one of the ends. This step isn’t necessary; it just depends on where you plan on keeping your bracelet roll.

First, I traced the outline of my toilet paper roll onto the center of the paper towel roll.

Ok, center-ish.


Then, I cut out the circle of the paper towel roll. The idea is to fit the toilet paper roll inside the hole to create the T shape. I took a few tries to get the hole wide enough. It’s best to do a little at a time.

Like so.


Once I had my T made, I stuffed the entire contraption with paper. This makes the recycled jewelry roll more substantial and sturdy.



Once I was satisfied with my stuffing (hehe, yes I’m twelve), I used some double sided tape to attach the T to my cardboard square. You don’t have to use double sided tape, but it will make it easier when you’re wrapping the holder.



This will be the end result!

Well, almost the end!


I used some leftover cream colored fleece fabric to wrap the bracelet holder. You could probably use scrapbook paper as well, if you prefer.  I had to wrap in sections. I started with the base. I cut out a square of fabric slightly larger than the base. Then, I cut a slit halfway to the center of the fabric swatch. Sounds complicated but it isn’t at all.

Create a little Y with your slit.



You could also trace the circumference of the toilet paper roll, but I had already attached it to the base. And I’m lazy.  It all comes out ok in the end. Promise!

Next, I covered the bar portion. I folded the ends like a present and used double stick tape to secure them.



Lastly, I took another piece of fabric cut to size, folded the ends so I had an even seam, and covered the toilet paper roll.

And that’s all she wrote!



Here’s my new bracelet holder in action. The sides are still a little long but, look! I have bracelets! This project was made from recycled items so it’s nice and green. And free! Woo to the hoo. It isn’t designer, by any means, but it’s hidden in a closet and the pretty bracelets cover any blemishes. Or so I tell myself. So far, it has been working great! However, if it doesn’t fit my organizational needs, it is no big deal. I still have the tray and bowl!


How are your projects coming along? Have you ever copied something, even though the inspiration was cheap?

7 comments

  1. Amazing. I would have never thought of that. I would love for you to stop by and link up to More the Merrier Monday. It is open through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! LOVE THAT! That's the best feeling when that light bulb goes off! And your project turned out awesome!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. @iheartorganizing

    Thanks so much! I especially love light bulb moments that are cheap/free. Can't beat 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a mug tree to hang my bracelets - I picked mine up from a thrift store.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top